Keeping Your Kitchen Safe From Fires
A house fire in West Hills, TN can be devastating, and fire damage professionals report that most house fires begin in the kitchen. A kitchen fire can spread throughout the house in just a matter of minutes. Because a kitchen fire is often caused by basic carelessness, taking note of some simple tips for fire prevention in the kitchen can save you a lot of unnecessary heartaches.
1. Never leave the stove unattended. Do not leave the kitchen while pots and pans are heating on the stove. Always turn off the heat before taking a phone call or answering the front door.
2. Watch your heat source. Carefully monitor what you are cooking, especially if you are cooking with grease. A grease fire can happen suddenly if the grease is overheated. Never cook grease on high heat, and if grease begins to smoke, turn off the heat immediately.
3. Remove flammable items from the stovetop. Pot holders and kitchen towels can easily catch fire. Do not set utensils too close to the heated range. While it may seem like one of the most obvious tips, food packaging and paper towels should never be placed on the stovetop itself.
4. Be mindful of your clothing. Loose fitting or long flowing sleeves can be a fire hazard. Do not wear anything that could get caught on a pan or fall into the heating range.
5. Be ready to extinguish a fire. You should always have a fire extinguisher that is easily accessible in your kitchen. You can also quickly extinguish some fires by smothering them with a lid or a cookie sheet. If there is a grease fire, do not use water. Instead, immediately douse it with baking soda or salt. Be sure to turn off the heat.
Cooking in the kitchen should be fun and enjoyable. Following these tips for fire prevention in the kitchen can remove unnecessary anxiety and keep your focus where it should be — on the joy of preparing food for family and friends.